Recently, I stumbled across a salient list of the ‘Top 10 things to give up in order to move forward’. Marc is the person responsible for this excellent list – which resonated with me as many of his points I addressed in my first book, and in prior blogs. I believe they will hit home – as we have all had these thoughts at one point or another. I know I have!!
1. Letting the opinions of others control our life. It is what YOU think that matters!
2. The shame of past failures. The past does not dictate our future..what matters is what we do RIGHT NOW.
3. Being indecisive about what we want. Decide and declare what you want. Start with the end in mind. Indecision is crippling.
4. Procrastinating on the goals that matter. There are 2 choices: accept conditions as they exist or change them. As we have talked about before: all we control are our ABC’s – our attitude, our behaviors, and our choices.
5. Choosing to do nothing. Enough said.
6. Your need to be right. Go for it…yet we need to let go of having all the answers. No one does and no one ever will. We are here to learn and to teach.
7. Running from problems which need to be fixed. Look the tiger in the eye – power originates from courage.
8. Making excuses rather than decisions. It is a time waster and delays the inevitable. Take a stand and move forward; we can always change directions.
9. Overlooking the positive points in our lives. The half-empty, half-full analogy comes to mind – as what we see is based entirely on what we are looking for. Somehow, we need to learn to be grateful for what we have in our lives.
10. Not appreciating the present moment. I wrote a book on the random encounters that change our lives – which we often miss because we are not present in the moment. At the end of the day, it is really all we have – and the most precious times in our lives are made up of the chance encounters and little things.
Wow – what a list! I wonder what our amazing potential could be if we could embrace each and every one of these?