We are at the mid-point of the year – which for me means a time to reassess and figure out where I am. Am I where I want to be? Am I heading in the right direction? Are we meeting our corporate goals? Am I meeting my personal goals?
As long as I can remember, my father has shared and sent my sister and me newspaper articles, quotations, and otherwise bits of information. This started when we were children; and now, at age 85 (my father) and 52 (me), he still selflessly and conscientiously teaches, shares, and helps me become the best person I can be. So, this week, in honor of Father’s Day, I am sharing the latest gift my father sent us late last month. It may appear simple and basic; yet, the hard stuff is almost always the ‘simple stuff’.
The source of this list was our church bulletin, and was written by a woman named Lauren English. These are wonderful tips for us to print out – post on our bulletin boards, fridge, or screen savers. I am a believer that by seeing them and reading them – early and often – they seep into our consciousness whether we realize it or not. This particular list is divided into 4 focus areas; the tips that resonated with my stage in life right now, I have highlighted in bold.
My dad (and my mom for that matter) truly do live these suggestions. Sure, they are human and make mistakes like everyone…yet, I can honestly say that they do their best to abide by these suggestions which I believe is why at 85 and 84 they are healthy, happy, in love, successful by all metrics, and truly ‘aligned’ in life and to their Higher Power.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a beggar.
- Eat more foods that grow on trees, and less food made in plants.
- Live with 3 E’s – Energy, Enthusiasm, and Energy.
- Make time to pray.
- Play more games.
- Read more books than you did in 2013.
- Sit in silence for 10 minutes (at least) a day.
- Sleep 7 hours a day.
- Take a 30 minute walk daily and SMILE while you are walking.
- Don’t compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
- Eliminate negative thoughts and things you cannot control. Stay present in the moment.
- Don’t over do. Know your limits.
- Don’t take yourself so seriously.
- Don’t waste your energy on gossip.
- Dream more while you are awake.
- Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.
- Forget issues of the past.
- Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.
- Make peace with your past so it will not spoil the present.
- Smile and laugh more.
- You don’t have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.
- Call your family often.
- Each day do something good for someone else.
- Forgive everyone for everything.
- For a learning experience, spend time with someone over the age of 70 and under the age of 8.
- Try to make at least 3 people smile each day.
- What other people think of you is none of your business.
- Your job won’t take care of you when you are sick. Your friends will. Be a good friend.
- Do the right thing.
- Get rid of anything that is not useful, beautiful, or joyful.
- GOD heals everything.
- However good or bad a situation is – it will change.
- Not matter how you feel – get up, dress up, SHOW UP.
- The BEST is yet to come.
- When you awake alive in the morning – thank GOD for it!
- Be happy each and every day.
Last: Make it a great second half of 2014……we own it!
Please share which ones resonate with you. Please share with anyone you care about. Let’s make the next 6 months the BEST we can!!